7 Steps to Turn Your Passion for Photography into a Career
Here are 7 Steps to Turn Your Passion for Photography into a Career. Obviously there is more to it, but keeping these steps in mind as you grow will pay dividends towards your future.
Today, I want to share some thoughts around my journey of how I turned my love for photography into a full-blown career. I'll walk you through the initial steps, some of which may be a bit controversial... but don't worry, I've got the receipts to back it up!
I'm all about standing out and doing things differently. So, let's dive into the world of photography, starting with the basics.
- Learn the Basics: Just like any other profession, photography begins with learning the basics. You need to understand exposure, aperture, ISO, composition, lighting, and, yes, even editing. Don't underestimate the power of editing; it can add a tone and style to your photographs that set you apart. In the beginning, I practiced by taking my camera to every event with friends, capturing every moment. Soon, my friends began asking me to photograph their families, engagements, and more. This gave me valuable practice and a chance to improve my skills.
- Shoot for Free: Now, here's where it gets a bit controversial. I recommend shooting for free at first. I know, it sounds like a rookie mistake, but hear me out. By offering your services for free to friends and family, you can build a portfolio with stunning images that will impress potential clients. Plus, it's an excellent way to refine your style and expand your capabilities.
- Create a Website: Your Instagram and TikTok are fantastic for sharing your work, but they're not enough. Having a website adds professionalism to your photography career. It shows potential clients that you're a pro with a substantial body of work. Plus, it improves your online presence and SEO, making it easier for people to find you.
- Use a Photo Delivery Service: Up your professionalism by using a photo delivery service. This conveys to clients that you take your work seriously. A professional delivery service enhances the client experience compared to sharing files through Dropbox or Google Drive. It allows clients to view, select, and order prints conveniently, potentially increasing your income through print sales.
- Share Your Work Everywhere: Now it's time to get your work out there! Share it on platforms like Instagram, Twitter, TikTok, YouTube, and submit your work to blogs or photo contests. Try to get featured and reach new audiences. It's free marketing, and it's an excellent way to get your work in front of new eyes.
- Serve Your Clients Exceptionally: Serving your clients goes beyond being punctual and delivering photos promptly. It's about going the extra mile. Hold their hair back if they're unwell, grab them water if they're thirsty, or even offer a comforting hug when needed. These gestures create lasting relationships and make you stand out in the industry.
- Experiment and Find Your Style: Don't just stick to the ordinary. Experiment, tinker, and try new things in your photography. Develop your unique photographic voice and lean into it. Your distinctive style will set you apart and attract clients who resonate with your work.
In the world of photography, taking the leap from hobbyist to professional is an exciting journey. Start by mastering the basics, shooting for free to build your portfolio, creating a professional website, using a photo delivery service, and sharing your work widely. Serving your clients with care and nurturing your unique style will help you stand out in this competitive field. So, don't be afraid to break away from the crowd and start creating your path in the world of photography. Your unique voice is your greatest asset.